Despite the flurry of Wallace and other New England postings, I am still pursuing my Slovak ancestry via microfilm. I got two reels and looked at them for one day and promptly got a terrible cold and lost almost two weeks of research. Luckily I could renew the films once and thus still have them, although the clock is ticking. You see I can still either go into Boston and do research on my mother's ancestry or hop in a car and visit her ancestors' graves, but I can't exactly get to Slovakia (or Salt Lake City for that matter) in an hour or less. Would that I could.
I am also wrapping my mind around the fact that my research methods for this is off. I was pulling back a reel or two of microfilm to review, based on time (you get the reels for three weeks) and money (it costs $5.50 per reel, per three weeks--you get one renewal only). The problem is to verify things you need to review births/marriages/deaths which obviously happen at vastly different time periods. I'm finding that when I want to verify something, particularly with all the common names in this one small village, I'm stuck. I should have just ordered the eight reels for Myjava all at once for the entire 6 weeks [total cost $88.00]. Since I have four villages (three of which I can order now), I may just wait and do it all in Salt Lake City on a future trip.
I'm trying to both verify the research I had commissioned in the late 1990s with the added information I acquired by finding everyone in the 1869 Hungarian census on my own. For instance, I finally figured out why the 1869 census seemed "off" for one family. Jan Simek born in 1800 and married in 1820 to Kristina Holic also born in 1800 (yes, I have two Holic lines, although I can't connect them). In the 1869 census Jan and a Kristina appear, but her age was significantly off, and she had a son born in 1856, which seemed unlikely for a woman born in 1800. I now know that Kristina (Holic) Simek died between 1845 and 1855 and Jan remarried a Kristina Wdovjak. It was she who was born in 1814 and had her last child in 1856. That not only matched the census, but with a death record for her in 1891. Problem solved there. But as you can see, I needed to go back and get the film to check on the second marriage and death and that reel I didn't have.
Luckily the records I've been using in Myjava are in a very legible hand and are written, for the most part, in Latin.