Every once in a while you catch a break in genealogy. I descend from Joseph Arnold (Jr.) whose sister was an ancestor of Thomas Chalmers Brainerd. Brainerd published his own genealogy and this work was edited and/or researched by Donald Lines Jacobus. So I get a very well-researched three generations in all lines.
1. John Arnold, of unknown parentage, appears in Cambridge, Mass. in 1634 and was among those who went to and founded Hartford, Conn. in 1638-39. Not only does he show up in Brainerd, but in the Great Migration 1634-1635, I:81-83. His wife's name was Susannah, and he had four children, the second of whom was:
2. Joseph Arnold, b. ca. 1634, d. 22 October 1691 at Haddam, Conn. He married Elizabeth Wakeman, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Wakeman), for whom see the Great Migration Begins, III:1899-1901. He had seven children, the second of whom was:
3. Joseph Arnold (Jr.), b. 7 March 1666 at Haddam, d.there 8 April 1752. [Haddam Vital Records (1668-1852) from “The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records” compiled by Jan Tilton (Genealogical Publishing Co, Baltimore), pp. 1-5]. He married 28 January 1694/5 at Haddam, Susannah Smith, daughter of Simon Smith, who is also included in Brainerd's work. However, because they are both siblings of the direct lines, their own family is not treated as a unit. They have seven children, the first five of which have births recorded in the Haddam Vital Records. They are: Joseph, Abigail, Susannah, Anne, Simon, Hannah, and Joseph.
4. Abigail Arnold was born at Haddam on 27 June 1701. She married at Killingworth, 4 November 1720, John Chatfield, son of George and Hester (Hull) Chatfield. [Killingworth Births-Marriages-Deaths 1667-1850 (Barbour Collection, Connecticut State Library, 1924) pp. 16-17.] Abigail died sometime after 1782. They had nine children.
- The Ancestors and Descendants of George Hull 1590-1659 and Thamzen Michell of Crewkerne, Somerset England, Dorchester, MA . . . by Robert E. Hull (Gateway Press, Baltimore, 1994)
- Families of Early Hartford, Conn. by L.B. Barbour (1977)
- Ancestry of Thomas Chalmers Brainerd by Thomas C. Brainerd, ed. by Donald Lines Jacobus (Montreal, 1948)