Abraham Browne's English ancestry is known but you have to be careful. A wrong ancestry was published by Henry Bond is his work on Watertown. The best information on Abraham Browne with his correct ancestry is found in The Ancestry of Eva Belle Kempton, Part I, the Ancestry of Warren Francis Kempton 1817-1879 by Dean Crawford Smith (Boston, Mass.: NEHGS, 1996), pp. 168-196. Even before this book was published Robert Charles Anderson, in the Great Migration Begins, notes that the ancesty of Abraham Browne was dubious and more emphasis should be placed on his relationship to Edmund Browne of Boston. Smith did that and solved this puzzle.
1. William Browne born say 1505, buried Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire 25 January 1565/6, married say 1530, Joan (---) who was buried there on 7 April 1573. Nine children, the youngest of whom was:
2. Edmund Browne, born say 1547, buried at Sawbridgeworth 21 January 1638/9 (at age 95), married there 23 July 1584 Mary Cramphorne, baptized there 27 September 1562, living 1607, daughter of William and Jone (Plowe) Cramphorne. Twelve children: Elizabeth, Richard, George, Abraham, John, Sarah, John, John, Edmund, Mary, Hannah, and Daniel. Of these, John, Abraham, and Edmund all immigrate to New England.
3. Abraham Browne, baptized at Sawbridgeworth 22 October 1588, died Watertown, Mass. between 26 March 1645 and 21 December 1648. Married first at South Weald, Essex, 21 September 1619, Joan Shelton, born say 1599 and buried 27 September 1628. Abraham married second say 1629, Lydia (---) born say 1609, died Watertown 27 September 1686. She married secondly at Ipswich, Mass. 27 November 1659, Andrew Hodges who died at Ipswich December 1665. He had been previously married to Ann (---). Abraham had three children with his first wife: Sarah, Hannah, and Mary, and then four more children with his second wife: Lydia, Jonathan, Hannah, and Abraham.
4. Jonathan Browne, born at Watertown 15 8mo 1635, died there between 19 February 1690/1 and 1 April 1691. He married at Watertown 11 12mo 1661/2 Mary Shattuck, daughter of William and Susannah (---) Shattuck. She was born at Watertown 25 6mo 1645 and died Waltham, MA 23 October 1732. Ten children: Mary, Elizabeth, Jonathan, Patience, Abraham, Samuel, Lydia, Ebenezer, Benjamin and William.
5. Mary Browne born Watertown 5 8mo 1662, living 2 April 1711, married first at Watertown 22 March 1682/3, John Warren, son of Daniel and Mary (Barron) Warren. John was born at Watertown 5 March 1665/6 and died there 11 July 1703. Mary married secondly 14 March 1703/4, Samuel Harrington. Samuel had been previously married to Grace Livermore by whom he had five children. Mary and John Warren had three sons: John, Jonathan, and Daniel.
- Genealogies of the Families & Descendants of the Early Settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts by Henry Bond, 2nd ed. (1860, reprint 1978), but throw out the English origins.
- Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins; Immigrants to New England 1620-1633 (NEHGS, Boston, 1995), I:244-246.
- Shattuck Memorials, no. II: memorials no. II of the descendants of William Shattuck by Beatrix Marie Larson (Richland Ctr. Wisconsin, 1977).
- The Ancestry of Eva Belle Kempton, Part I, the Ancestry of Warren Francis Kempton 1817-1879 by Dean Crawford Smith (Boston, Mass.: NEHGS, 1996), pp. 168-196.