1. Nathaniel Woodward, probable son of Lambert and Isabel (Smith) Woodward, was born about 1585 at Puddington, Bedfordshire, England and died after July 1661 at Boston, Massachusetts. He married on 19 September 1608 at Rushden, England, Margaret Lawrence who was living in 1661. Nathaniel was a carpenter. Nathaniel and Margaret had eleven children: Nathaniel, John, Robert, Elizabeth, Ann/Agnes, Lambert, Thomas, James, Ezekiel, Benjamin, and Prudence.
2. Robert Woodward was baptized 22 February 1611/2 at Rushden, England and died 21 November 1653 at Boston, Massachusetts. He married about 1640 at Boston, Rachel Smith, born say 1620, and died 1695 at Boston, Massachusetts, daughter of John and Mercy Smith. Rachel married secondly on 7 July 1654 at Boston, Thomas Harwood, a tailor who died at Boston on 5 January 1707/8. Robert was a carpenter like his father. Robert and Rachel had eight children: Joseph, Nathaniel, Smith, Robert, Mercy, Thomas, John, and Jeremiah.
3. Smith Woodward was born 1 August 1644 at Boston and died there about 1668. He married about 1666, Deliverance Hoppin, born about 1645 and died 22 July 1699 at Dorchester, Massachusetts, daughter of Stephen and Hannah (Makepeace) Hoppin. Deliverance married secondly Richard Butt. Smith and Deliverance had but one child: Smith (Jr.)
4. Smith Woodward (Jr.) was born about 1667 at Boston and died 10 January 1733 at Dorchester, Massachusetts. He married at Dorchester on 29 July 1691, Thankful Pope, born about 1671 at Dorchester and died 15 June 1738 at Dorchester, daughter of John and Margaret Pope. Smith and Thankful were fined for fornication before marriage on 13 November 1691. They had thirteen children: Sarah, Thankful, Mary, Deliverance, Ebenezer, Abigail, Hannah, John, Silence, Submit, Samuel, Joseph and Abigail.
5. Thankful Woodward born 1 November 1693 at Dorchester, Massachusetts and died after 1732. She married on 1 July 1714 at Dorchester, Nathaniel Spear (Jr.) born 25 September 1692 at Braintree, Massachusetts and died there 3 December 1732, son of Nathaniel and Hannah (Holman) Spear. Nathaniel was a weaver. Thankful and Nathaniel had ten children: Thankful, Nathaniel, Hannah, Moses, Elijah, Jemima, Mary, Thomas, Elizabeth, and Joshua.
Our Woodward Lines In Massachusetts and Vermont: From Nathaniel to Joseph of Athol, Mass. and Many of his Descendants by Helen S. Ullmann (Acton, MA, 1992).
Some Descendants of Nathaniel Woodward Who Came From England to Boston About 1630 by Harold Edward Woodward (Boston, NEHGS, 1984).
“The English Origin of Nathaniel Woodward” by Doris J. Woodward and Patricia Law Hatcher, The Maine Genealogist 20 (1998): 147-168.
The Origin of John Tukey of Falmouth and Portland, ME" by Gilbert M. Titcomb The American Genealogist 66 (1991):13-15, 80 (2005):263.