The Chatfield family was an armigerous family from Sussex. That means they had their own coat of arms and crest. They are listed in the Sussex Visitations from 1530 and 1633-4. Their arms were: Or, a griffin seargeant sable, on a chief purpure three escallop-shells argent.
1. Thomas Chatfield born say 1450 and died after 1523. He was the father of John, Thomas, and William.
2. John Chatfield born about 1475 and died after 1523. He married Alice Stapley, daughter of Richard Stapley. John was the father of Richard, John and Robert.
3. Richard Chatfield born about 1500 and was buried at Chichester on 26 July 1586. He married about 1530 Elizabeth Brane/Brond, daughter of John Brane/Brond. She was the widow of John Peckham. Richard married secondly after 9 April 1570 Agnes or Anne (---) who survived him. Richard and Elizabeth were the parents of seven children: Nicholas, Francis, George, Thomas, Elizabeth, Joan, and Richard.
4. Francis Chatfield born abt 1532 and died 4 May 1594 at Rumboldswyke, Sussex, England. He married about 1560 Anne Peckham, born say 1540 and died after 1594. Francis and Anne were the parents of six children: Richard, Francis, George, Thomas, Joane, and Robert.
5. George Chatfield born about 1566 likely at Rumboldswyke, Sussex, died Pagham, Sussex before 13 November 1619. He married about 1588 Margaret (---) born say 1568 and died after 1619. George and Margaret had three children: Henry, Richard, and Jane.
6. Henry Chatfield born about 1589 at Pagham, Sussex and was buried 1 February 1637 at North Mudham, Sussex. Henry married first about 1610 a woman whose name we do not know. By her he had three children: Margaret, John and Henry. Henry married secondly about 1614, Jane Shepard, born about 1580 at Chidham, Sussex and was buried 17 March 1639, daughter of William and Joane (---) Shepard and widow of George Wickham. Henry and Jane had five children: Miriam, Francis, Sarah, Thomas, and George.
7. George Chatfield born about 1624 at North Mudham, Sussex, England, died 9 June 1671 at Killingworth, Connecticut. George married first before 1656 at Guilford, Connecticut, Sarah Bishop who died there 20 September 1657, daughter of John and Anne (---) Bishop. George married secondly on 29 March 1659 at Guilford, Isabel Nettleton, born say 1640, daughter of Samuel and Mary (---) Nettleton. George migrated in 1639 with his brothers Francis and Thomas. George and Isabel had three children: John, George, and Mercy.
8. George Chatfield (Jr.) was born at Killingworth 18 August 1668 and died after 1720. He married at Killingworth on 10 February 1691, Hester Hull, born 4 August 1672 at Killingworth, died there 30 January 1716, daughter of John and Abigail (Kelsey) Hull. George married secondly at Killingworth on 30 October 1719, Silence Wilcox. George and Hester had eleven children: Esther, George, John, Abigail, Josiah, Esther, Cornelius, Naomi, Philip, Mary, and Mary.
9. John Chatfield born 5 March 1695 at Killingworth, died there 20 November 1753. He married there on 4 November 1720 Abigail Arnold, born 27 June 1701 at Haddam, Connecticut and died after 1782, daughter of Joseph and Susannah (Smith) Arnold. John and Abigail had nine children: Abigail, Susannah, Esther, Ann, John, Elizabeth, George, Joseph, and Benjamin.
10. Susannah Chatfield born 15 March 1723/4 at Killingworth died 6 August 1791 at Newport, New Hampshire. She married at Saybrook, Connecticut 5 November 1741, Daniel Dudley (Jr.), born 29 July 1719 at Saybrook and died 12 February 1811 at Newport, New Hampshire. Together Susannah and Daniel had nine children: Susana, Josiah, Deborah, Chloe, Daniel, John, Elias, Ezra, and Anne.
“Genealogical Research in England” by Elizabeth French, New England Historical & Genealogical Register 70 (1916):55-65, 125-136.
“Thomas Wickham of Chichester, Sussex, and Wethersfield, Conn.” by Alan A. Wickham and James W. Petty, New England Historical & Genealogical Register 150 (1996):260-276.
Families of Early Milford, Connecticut by Susan W. Abbott (Genealogical Publishing, Baltimore, 1979).
Ancestry of John Harrington Stevens & His Wife Frances Helen Miller by Mary Lovering Holman and Winifred L. Holman (2 vols. 1948-1952).
The Ancestors and Descendants of George Hull 1590-1659 and Thamzen Michell of Crewkerne, Somerset England, Dorchester, MA . . . by Robert E. Hull (Gateway Press, Baltimore, 1994).
History of the Dudley Family with Genealogical Tables, Pedigrees, etc. by Dean Dudley (Wakefield, MA 1892).
Daniel Dudley's gravestone:
Susannah (Chatfield Dudley's gravestone: