1. Thomas Dexter was born about 1588 and died at Boston, Massachusetts about January 1676/77. He married at Great Bowden, Leicestershire, England on 30 January 1613/4 Mary Harper, born about 1590 and died after 1624, the possible daughter of Richard Harper. Thomas and Mary had five children: Thomas, Mary, William, Frances, and Elizabeth.
2. William Dexter was baptized 21 February 1618/19 at Great Bowden, Leicester and died at Rochester, Massachusetts about 1694. William married at Barnstable, Massachusetts on 8 July 1653 Sarah Vincent, born about 1631 and died after 1694, daughter of John Vincent and an unknown wife. William and Sarah had seven children: Mary, Stephen, Philip, James, Thomas, John, and Benjamin.
3. Benjamin Dexter was born 16 February 1670 at Barnstable, Massachusetts and died before 4 November 1734 at Rochester, Massachusetts. He married there on 17 July 1695, Sarah Arnold, born about 1674 and died before August 1732, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Holmes) Arnold. Benjamin and Sarah had eleven children: Noah, James, Benjamin, Sarah, Josiah, Constant, Samuel, Ephraim, Daniel, Joanna, and Seth.
4. Benjamin Dexter (Jr.) was born 4 March 1700 at Rochester, Massachusetts and died there December 1737. Benjamin married at Rochester 8 June 1721, Hannah Barrows, born 17 January 1700 at Plympton, Massachusetts and died before November 1767 at Darmouth, Massachusetts. Hannah Barrows married secondly at Rochester on 10 December 1741, Hix Jenney, son of Samuel Jenney. Benjamin and Hannah had six sons: Peleg, John, Enoch, Ebenezer, Joseph, and Isaac.
5. Ebenezer Dexter was born 6 August 1728 at Rochester, Massachusetts and died at Liverpool, Nova Scotia on 10 August 1781. He married at Rochester on 27 March 1755 Lydia Rider, born 6 November 1734 at Yarmouth, Massachusetts and died after 1811 at Liverpool, Nova Scotia. A deed recorded on 12 January 1813 probable indicates her death (Queens County Deeds 6:156). Ebenezer and Lydia had thirteen children: Hannah, Benjamin, Rebecca, Lydia, Elisha, Ebenezer, Katherine, Enoch, Experience, Samuel, Bethia, Diademia and Esther.
6. Diademia Dexter was born 10 October 1778 at Liverpool, Nova Scotia and died 16 August 1869 at Alma, New Brunswick. She married on 10 November 1799 at Liverpool, Rev. Nathan Cleveland, son of Benjamin and Mary (Elderkin) Cleveland.
Robert Charles Anderson The Great Migration Begins; Immigrants to New England 1620-1633 (NEHGS, Boston, 1995) I:540-5.
The Genealogy of the Dexter Family in America: Descendants of Thomas Dexter by W.A. Worden and R.L. Dexter (1905), p. 19-22, 30, 44-45.
Genealogical Notes on Barnstable Families by C.F. Swift (vol.1, 1888, reprint, 1979), p. 315-25.
“Colonists from Great Bowden, Leicestershire” by Leslie Mahler The American Genealogist 78 (2003):181-3.
George Lathrop Cooley and Clara Elizabeth Hall: Their Ancestors and Descendants in America with allied Lines Descended from Immigrants Richard Seymour, George Lilly, Richard Smith and John Vincent by Harl Preslar Aldrich, Jr. (Penobscot Press, Rockport, ME, 2001).
Queens Co. Nova Scotia families (manuscript at the Provincial Archives of Nova Scotia).